SPL Spotlight aims to shine light on individuals who have supported the Skate Park Leagues program. These people always show high levels of commitment, passion and enthusiasm.
Here’s what Earth Phothong who lives up in the Northern Territory had to say when we asked him a couple questions about skateboarding:
- Your name, age and where you are from?
I am Earth Phothong, I’m 22 from Bangkok, Thailand.
- When did you start skateboarding?
Started skating at 12 years old.
- When did you first start competing at SPL comps?
First one I believe was in 2016…
- Why did you start skateboarding?
I thought it looked interesting, also saw it in a movie and the next day I went to buy a board haha!
- What do you like about the Skate Park Leagues Program?
I reckon the main thing I like about the program is how there is a national finals, get to meet other skaters from around the country.
- How have you grown as a skater and individual from competing at Skate Park League Comps?
I’m actually competitive person aye haha and with comps, the main competition is beating yourself. These comps have helped me learn to be confident, deal with being nervous, focus, and other things like that. They have also have helped me to want to get better with my skating, like being more consistent, and pushing to learn more tricks.
- Favourite Skate Park / spot? Why?
Favourite park has to be Fremantle youth plaza! Every time I go to Perth I have to go there, it’s such a good park!
- How do you think local communities and skate parks benefit from the SPL program coming to their towns?
Well for Darwin, it’s really good for sure. We don’t get much events up here like other places in Australia. It’s cool that SPL comes up to Darwin and shows some love, it really opens up opportunities for skaters up here to improve/show their skills!